Get started with blogging in WordPress
A blog is a dynamic part of your site that allows you to share information in reverse chronological order, so visitors always see your latest content first. It's like an electronic journal. You can share news, thoughts, or any other updates in the form of posts on your blog page. By regularly publishing posts on your blog, you'll give your customers a reason to come back to your site and, over time, develop trust in your brand.
Choose your topic
Before you invest your time and energy in creating your blog posts, you should decide what you are going to write about.
These are some guidelines that can help you choose topics for your blog posts:
- Choose a topic that benefits your business.
- Write something that's interesting to you.
- Find inspiration on Google trends.
- Use social media, for example, Twitter, to see what's popular and search for hashtags like #trending, #popular, or similar to find trending topics. Also, you can search for hashtags related to your business to find out what's trending in your industry.
- Once you've narrowed down your topic, you can cross niche for a more targeted audience. For example, if you own a boutique, you can cross niche women, fashion, and hiking by writing a blog post that describes how to look chic when hiking in summer. That way, you’ll target a specific group of fashionable hikers.
- Choose scalable topics to save time. For example, you can create new posts that cover fall, winter, and spring hiking outfits by rewriting the article published in summer.
Add your first blog post
Now that you have chosen the topic, you can add your first blog post!
When writing, try to break down chunks of text with subheadings, lists, and images to make your post easier to scan, and don't use sentences that are too long and hard to follow.
Try to post regularly if you have time. Posting at least twice a week will keep your readers engaged and can help your site rank better on search engines. Search engine algorithms prefers content that is relevant and up to date.
Choose where to display your blog posts
In WordPress, you can choose which page displays your blog posts. If your focus is on blogging, you can display posts on your home page.
On the other hand, if you want to use your home page for different purposes, you can choose another existing page or add a new page to be used for your blog. To make the blog page easily accessible to the site's visitors, you should add it to the navigation menu.
Structure your blog with categories and tags
If you want to cover different topics on your blog, organize posts into different categories. That way, it will be easier for your readers to find all posts that cover certain topics. One post can belong to several categories. Besides organizing posts by broader topics, you can add tags to group them by a specific characteristic. For example, an architecture blog can have categories like mansions, tiny houses, apartments, and so on and then use tags based on interior colors and style.
(Optional) Change the WordPress theme
Every WordPress installation comes with a fully functional default theme. However, if the currently active theme doesn’t fit your brand or if you need some additional functionalities, you can choose a different theme and install it from your WordPress dashboard.
- Build my WordPress site
- Add social media share buttons to your site, so your visitors can quickly share your posts on social media.
- By default, comments on posts are enabled in WordPress. To prevent spammers from commenting on your site, you can change comment approval settings.
- Check out this article to learn how to develop a WordPress content stragegy for your blog.