cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

PHP Upgrade??? To at least 5.6? How can you allow us to run on old versions?

Ok support folks, Joomla is not liking the OLD version of PHP (5.4 native) you are running in the Shared Hosting (I am Linux Cpanel) it is asking for version 5.6 minimum (Which will be "obsolete" in December 2016 according to my reading). I am hosting a eCommerce site with you and am disappointed in the shared hosting software support for security. I am concerned that my site will be vulnerable even though I am running a SSL Cert... I really do not want to move my site to a dedicated hosting platform yet due to cost and really do not want to throw away my Godaddy hosting and go to another host that is running a "good" version of PHP....Moving to either would be a PITA....

So tell us what is the plan to mitigate the risks associated with running obsolete versions of critical software components?

Mike

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution

Re: PHP Upgrade??? To at least 5.6? How can you allow us to run on old versions?

Hey @ecmoran,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

I'm not sure if you misunderstood the previous comments in this discussion but we already offer PHP 5.6 within our cPanel shared hosting plans now. You should be able view or change your selected PHP version at any time.

If you're having trouble selecting 5.6 in your account, then please reach out to our live support so they can help review what is happening to prevent this. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Solution

Re: PHP Upgrade??? To at least 5.6? How can you allow us to run on old versions?

Hey @ScienceisFun

If you're not seeing 5.6 listed as an option in your account, you may be using a Web Hosting Linux plan instead of Cpanel. The instructions I previously linked are for use on cPanel hosting plans. Our older web hosting won't have 5.6 available. 

Highlighted
Product Team
Product Team
Solution

@mikeroesch

Exciting news to all GoDaddy cPanel users. Your account is now updated with the latest PHP 7.0 and 7.1! If you want to update, login to your cPanel dashboard. Then under the Software heading click “Select PHP version”. In the top left of the PHP selection page use the dropdown the PHP version you want and click set as current. You are now ready to go! But a heads-up before you update, I recommend you check you site for compatibility first. If you have any questions our customer support team is happy to help 24/7. Just call (480) 505-8877.

- Paul Seguritan, Product Manager

76 REPLIES 76
Highlighted

Hey @mikeroesch

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

You make a good point about the default version being set to PHP 5.4 native. I'll have our developers review the feedback to see about changing that over to 5.6 since this is becoming more of the current "standard" version.

With that in mind, there will still will be security updates for PHP 5.6 till 2018, plus additional security updates we receive regularly through our partnership with CloudLinux on older PHP versions. Our developers are also working on making PHP 7 available in the near future, so be on the look out for that update. 

Highlighted

Thanks CG, It's just that my J2Store plug-in for my Joomla eCommerce site is squawking about it being 5.4 and I do not want to loose support for the plug-in or risk security issues in 5.4...

Mike

Highlighted
Helper I

Hello,

With that in mind, I would recommend that you contact the developer of the plugin and ask if they will continue to support the product and update it to a newer version of PHP. If not it might be something to note and plan that a migration strategy to a new plugin solution for the same purpose will be required in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Wade Hextell

wadehextell at gmail.com

https://au.linkedin.com/in/wadehextell

Highlighted

Hi, I've got the same concern about needing an upgrade to PHP 5.6 for Woocommerce and other plugins to work properly on my ecommerce site. I saw that you guys upgraded the PHP in the WordPress Managed Hosting just recently. What is holding you back from doing the same in Shared Hosting? As this is the holiday season you must know that many of us need fully functioning sites. Please follow up on this very soon. Thank you, EC Moran

Highlighted
Solution

Hey @ecmoran,

I'm not sure if you misunderstood the previous comments in this discussion but we already offer PHP 5.6 within our cPanel shared hosting plans now. You should be able view or change your selected PHP version at any time.

If you're having trouble selecting 5.6 in your account, then please reach out to our live support so they can help review what is happening to prevent this. 

Highlighted

CG - I just logged in, chose manage hosting, clicked programming languages and the only options I see are 5.3 and 5.4.  How do I got 5.6 for my shared hosting?  I am using Joomal which seriously needs 5.6 to run properly.

Thank you!

Beth

Highlighted
Solution

Hey @ScienceisFun

If you're not seeing 5.6 listed as an option in your account, you may be using a Web Hosting Linux plan instead of Cpanel. The instructions I previously linked are for use on cPanel hosting plans. Our older web hosting won't have 5.6 available. 

Highlighted

Upgrade to PHP 7

Hi,

I got a PHP 7+ theme. After i installed it, the website is gone. How can upgrade my hosting to PHP 7? I got in touch with theme publishers, they looked at the error message and told me upgrade to PHP 7.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Re: Upgrade to PHP 7

PHP 7 is a new version and still Godaddy is working on updating it on to their server's so you'll need to contact Godaddy via Chat for this.

Please give it a +1 and also click "Mark As Accepted Solution" if you find it satisfactory. Thanking You With Regards | Harry Parmar
Highlighted

Thanks for your reply.

Highlighted

how to contact and change it to PHP 7

Highlighted
New

@CG 
with reference to subsequent reply that this issue will NEVER be solved for those on linux hosting. I wonder why you don't intend to offer a safer and updated php version to ALL clients, as opposed to just SOME clients.....

Highlighted

Is there a way for you to migrate an older plan to a new one?

@CG wrote:

Hey @ScienceisFun

Highlighted

Hey @gK2

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

If you're referring to my previous reply regarding Web Hosting Linux VS cPanel Linux hosting plans, the former plans mentioned are no longer offered nor does the technology platform support the latest versions of PHP currently available an the latter plans. 

I know our developers still work to provide security improvements where possible on these older hosting plans as there are still a few servers in use. However, further upgrades are no longer possible with the current hardware limitations on these platforms. If you need the latest version of PHP; but are still on Linux Web Hosting plans, then you'll need to consider moving your current site to a new cPanel Hosting account

Highlighted

How about customers with Windows hosting accounts? We have Windows Deluxe hosting account with unlimited websites and we are only seeing 5.3 and 5.4 version options. As we understand cpanel is not available on windows account so how do we get PHP 5.6 or later versions?

Highlighted

@CG wrote:

Hey @gK2

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

If you're referring to my previous reply regarding Web Hosting Linux VS cPanel Linux hosting plans, the former plans mentioned are no longer offered nor does the technology platform support the latest versions of PHP currently available an the latter plans. 

I know our developers still work to provide security improvements where possible on these older hosting plans as there are still a few servers in use. However, further upgrades are no longer possible with the current hardware limitations on these platforms. If you need the latest version of PHP; but are still on Linux Web Hosting plans, then you'll need to consider moving your current site to a new cPanel Hosting account

How do we go about moving our site to a new cPanel Hosting Account?  Do you provide any assistance?

Highlighted

This are the bad days of support. I want to upgrade Php from 5.3 to atleast 5.6 on managed Vps. I have easyapache4 installed so the running version is 5.6 with apache 2.4 but to install a phalcon extension the server default is still 5.3. The worst case is no email support and chat button is 24/7 disabled. For days I keep checking if the chat is online and I think the guys could have gone for a long holiday.

Everything is stuck and am afraid can't work with GoDaddy.

Highlighted

I do not have 5.6 in my upgrade options. Only 5.3 and 5.4.  Please how do we get 5.6, my site requires it.  

Highlighted

PHP 7 on shared hosting

When will you add it to shared hosting?

Yes, i know that i can install it myself on VPS or dedicated, but I'm asking about shared hosting.

I have been with you very long time, and still it's 2017 and we only get 5.6. I think its a shame. 7.0/7.1 is bringing a lot of improvements and security enhancements. projects are starting to work only with 7.0 and above. In Namecheap they already have it installed for the shared hosting. 

I'm afraid if PHP 7 will not be available soon i will have to transfer from GoDaddy.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Retired
Not applicable

Re: PHP 7 on shared hosting

Hi,

This has been discussed many times on the forum, please search through. I think the basic message was "watch this space" Smiley Happy All good things and all of that........ Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Give me a break, upgrading to PHP 7 on the server may sound scary and hard, but its nothing at all. Trust me. GoDaddy are driving me crazy. When in Namecheap you have PHP 7 for some time now, and it's scheduled to add 7.1 soon. You know why i know that people are going to leave GoDaddy soon? because project are demanding PHP 7 now, and when more and more people will look that they only have 5.6 with no 7.0 or 7.1, they will stop using GoDaddy. I know i am if php 7 will not be available soon, and yes, i mean soon.

Highlighted

While I agree that upgrading to 7 is a breeze from a technical perspective, you should keep in mind that GoDaddy supports a LOT of users.  Some customers may have applications that will break under 7.  There may be security issues to consider.  Since they will need to support older versions, they need to test that all the versions they support play nice together.  Where I work we call this process airlock, and the company will not release new versions of software until it has undergone this sort of regimen.  The point is:  It is not the same as you installing it on your PC. 

Highlighted

So let me get this right...

I have purchased a managed VPS with cPanel - can I get php 7 installed on this private server?

Highlighted

Ok 5.6 is fine but why are we not allowed to upgrade to php 7 in fact 7.1 at this point on vps? theres no options in whm easyapche to let me go beyond 5.6.x even after upgrade to 62.0?

Highlighted

From what I understand, there is no "automatic" migration from the older Web Hosting Linux to the new cPanel Linux. I would have to purchase a new cPanel Linux account, migrate (copy) over all of the files myself, and set everything up (databases, etc), and then delete my old Web Hosting account. Sounds like a royal PITA to make your longtime customers go through just so they can run a newer version of PHP. There should be some migration mechanism in place so I don't have to purchase a new account and have two accounts going simultaneously.

Highlighted
New

Did this actually happen? When I go into the available Programming Languages for my site, I only see PHP 5.2, 5.3, & 5.4 as options. I want to make use of a library that requires a minimum of PHP 5.5. How do I get this installed?

Highlighted

Chatted with GD today about this very issue.  Yes, you must buy a new plan on a new server, and manually migrate all your files over to the new server.   He mentioned that they offer a paid migration service.

It is definitely going to be a challange since I have many databases running CMSs and multi domain SSL certificate I'm going to have to reconfigure. 

I wish it were simpler.

Highlighted

PHP ver. 5.6 and Zend Guard Loader activate on my hosting server

Recently I bought ecommerce plugin. Plugin requires  "PHP ver. 5.6 and Zend Guard Loader . Request to please activate PHP ver. 5.6 and Zend Guard Loader activate on my hosting server.

As my site's cpanel is not working.

Thank you

Highlighted

Hi,

So, I need to pay extra to be able to move from PHP 5.3, which is 8 years old, and not supported for almost three years!?! PHP 5.3 is the only option available, I cannot chose even 5.4. Is it possible to change the server, at least?

This means you are forcing old users to quit the subscription. If I do that and buy the same one from you I will have the new PHP versions available?!? In that case, I will rather choose another company.

Soo bad experience!!! And I am with you for more that nine years and already spent almost 4,000€.

Aleksandar

Highlighted

PHP 7 ETA

Need to know a realistic ETA for php7 on shared Linux hosting. Bare minimum now should be 5.6. Gotta make a decision where to go soon if it's not going to happen. Any thoughts?

Highlighted

Well you have convinced me.

There is no reason to stay with GoDaddy if they are not willing to provide such a basic level of service. 

Highlighted

Exactly! Do you know what's worse? A guy on chat support yesterday made an analogy - he said something like: "You bought this hosting nine years ago. It's the same as you bought the computer nine years ago and now you would like to upgrade it. You have to pay for that."

This analogy is soooo wrong! I said that I am actually buying the new "computer" each time i renew the subscription, since I am paying the whole amount (even much more now than then).

It would be even easier for GoDaddy to allow this, or migration to new servers. I could just cancel the hosting, buy the new one (at discount price) and get the new better thing, while they are spending resources for all of this stuff going on in the background. Not to mention that they will stop getting people mad and literally sending them to another company. Also, they would get rid of those old servers.

PHP 5.3 is already obsolete for 2.5 years! Come on!?!

Highlighted

PHP 7 Update Timeline ?

Will and When will Managed WordPress Hosting be updated to Version 7 ?

Highlighted

Surely it is to GoDaddy's advantage to encourage and assist people off the obsolete products.

I am not asking for everything to be done for me, but I don't think it is unreasonable for GoDaddy to provide a free (cost neutral) mechanism to migrate to the new product.  

Highlighted

Should we start indicating our displeasure with GoDaddy on social media?

Perhaps they might take more notice when their poor customer service is on display to a wider audience.

Highlighted

I would also like to be able to upgrade my PHP to at LEAST 5.6, but preferably PHP 7. Wordpress is now warning me that this should happen. If Godaddy can't do this soon, then I'll have to consider going elsewhere which I don't want to have to do as I've never had any problems with Godaddy until now.

Highlighted
New

Esse futuro será com a volta do cometa halley?

Highlighted

Highlighted

I can't believe that GD just abondoned running plans... 

Very, very bad experience!

Need PHP 7.

Highlighted

If this is GoDaddy's attitude, I will be buying my upgrade from someone else.

@adlabac wrote:

Exactly! Do you know what's worse? A guy on chat support yesterday made an analogy - he said something like: "You bought this hosting nine years ago. It's the same as you bought the computer nine years ago and now you would like to upgrade it. You have to pay for that."

This analogy is soooo wrong! ...

Highlighted

If I "must buy a new plan on a new server, and manually migrate all [my] files over to the new server", or pay for migration, I won't be buying my new plan from GoDaddy.

@colienyk wrote:

Chatted with GD today about this very issue.  Yes, you must buy a new plan on a new server, and manually migrate all your files over to the new server.   He mentioned that they offer a paid migration service.

It is definitely going to be a challange since I have many databases running CMSs and multi domain SSL certificate I'm going to have to reconfigure. 

I wish it were simpler.

Highlighted

@PeterKirk wrote:

If I "must buy a new plan on a new server, and manually migrate all [my] files over to the new server", or pay for migration, I won't be buying my new plan from GoDaddy. ...

However, as my site is a WordPress site, if I migrate from my old Linux hosting to GoDaddy's WordPress Hosting, would all the migration be paid for? WordPress Hosting is said to come with a "Free one-click migration tool", so that "You can migrate your site over to GoDaddy Managed WordPress in just one click." Would that include migration from my old GoDaddy hosting?

Highlighted
New

I think that the "managed wordpress sites" are still only PHP 5.3 at best...I think.

Highlighted

REQUEST: Please upgrade PHP to 5.6 for shared hosts.

PHP5.3 is still lurking around on the shared hosts. You need to upgrade that to at least 5.6 if not 7. Possibly leaving GoDaddy if action is not seen on this within the month - you're already years behind. 

Highlighted

The current version of Joomla is now asking for PHP 7 (Joomla 3.7). Is there a reason Godaddy is so slow doing these kinds of updates?I switch to a business plan to try to get away with this php issue which shows up often.

Thanks

Highlighted

When will this upgrade occur?  I am seeing this message now in my Joomla install:

Your site is running an out of date version of PHP (5.4.19) which is no longer supported by its developers. You should ask your web host to upgrade as soon as possible - ideally to version 7 (since it offers major performance benefits).

Highlighted

I wouldn't hold my breath. If this is the way GoDaddy is going to be then as a Joomla developer I would switch provider.

As a web/Joomla/PHP developer I have dealt with GoDadday support many times (on behalf of my clients). My general impression is that many of them don't even know many the basics about web hosting, websites, etc. Also bear in mind that GoDaddy is very cheap and it's support is outsourced to cheap labor in other countries (some which have a reputation for online scams).

As a network administrator (aswell), I can tell you that updating PHP (itself) is a relatively simple task. The difficulty lays in not breaking thousands of web sites all in one hit. The truth is that there is no way to guarantee this won't happen without going over (and perhaps spending time trying to fix) thousands of sites - literally one by one...... so .... many of the other providers I have dealt with install PHP 7.x  along side PHP 5.x (perfectly doable for a reasonable admin)  and let the client switch over themselves.

Note also that on shared hosting, the PHP upgrade would essentially be once per server  - not once per customer. Unless that analogy provided by GoDaddy support was referring to making sure the actual website is PHP 7.x compatible - then charging each customer for the once off server upgrade itself would be a scam. Note also that PHP is free, so there is no outlay - only time spent on upgrading the server - which the admin is already (supposed to be) payed to do.

Highlighted

@markainsworth wrote:

While I agree that upgrading to 7 is a breeze from a technical perspective, you should keep in mind that GoDaddy supports a LOT of users.  Some customers may have applications that will break under 7.  There may be security issues to consider.  Since they will need to support older versions, they need to test that all the versions they support play nice together.  Where I work we call this process airlock, and the company will not release new versions of software until it has undergone this sort of regimen.  The point is:  It is not the same as you installing it on your PC. 

It's true that making sure 7.x runs smoothly along side 5.x requires care - but this is a very common setup. Once they have it working it should be working for all sites on that server. The issue is not getting it to work together, it's making sure they keep version 5.x as the default until sometime later. This way those who are ready to upgrade don't have to wait for hundreds of other websites to be upgraded - many of which may be dormant or may otherwise NEVER be upgraded.

Sorry, but as a PHP developer and a network administrator I have to say this sounds more like an administrative/internal politics issue - not a technical one. There are established ways to deal with this (even on this scale), and should have began years ago (literally)...or to be more accurate, being a part of ongoing maintenance. If the server admins for one of the biggest providers in the world is genuinely unaware of how to manage one of the most used server languages on the internet, then I am not sure I could trust them with my site (much less the security for my site) .

If GoDaddy is anything like many other IT companies I have either worked in or worked for, then perhaps some-one, some-where, some time ago became complacent - maintenance issues began to fester - manifestations were swept under the carpet - and now customers are expected to pay for the cleanup.

Highlighted

This reply about updating to PHP 7+ was posted in November of last year. 

It's now May 2017.  

When are we going to see version 7?  Our Joomla website is sending us warning messages about the old version of PHP you've stuck us with. 

We need PHP updated!