cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

PHP Upgrade??? To at least 5.6? How can you allow us to run on old versions?

Ok support folks, Joomla is not liking the OLD version of PHP (5.4 native) you are running in the Shared Hosting (I am Linux Cpanel) it is asking for version 5.6 minimum (Which will be "obsolete" in December 2016 according to my reading). I am hosting a eCommerce site with you and am disappointed in the shared hosting software support for security. I am concerned that my site will be vulnerable even though I am running a SSL Cert... I really do not want to move my site to a dedicated hosting platform yet due to cost and really do not want to throw away my Godaddy hosting and go to another host that is running a "good" version of PHP....Moving to either would be a PITA....

So tell us what is the plan to mitigate the risks associated with running obsolete versions of critical software components?

Mike

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hey @ecmoran,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

I'm not sure if you misunderstood the previous comments in this discussion but we already offer PHP 5.6 within our cPanel shared hosting plans now. You should be able view or change your selected PHP version at any time.

If you're having trouble selecting 5.6 in your account, then please reach out to our live support so they can help review what is happening to prevent this. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

Hey @ScienceisFun

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

If you're not seeing 5.6 listed as an option in your account, you may be using a Web Hosting Linux plan instead of Cpanel. The instructions I previously linked are for use on cPanel hosting plans. Our older web hosting won't have 5.6 available. 

Product Team

@mikeroesch

Exciting news to all GoDaddy cPanel users. Your account is now updated with the latest PHP 7.0 and 7.1! If you want to update, login to your cPanel dashboard. Then under the Software heading click “Select PHP version”. In the top left of the PHP selection page use the dropdown the PHP version you want and click set as current. You are now ready to go! But a heads-up before you update, I recommend you check you site for compatibility first. If you have any questions our customer support team is happy to help 24/7. Just call (480) 505-8877.

- Paul Seguritan, Product Manager

76 REPLIES 76

Hey @mikeroesch

First let me say welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

You make a good point about the default version being set to PHP 5.4 native. I'll have our developers review the feedback to see about changing that over to 5.6 since this is becoming more of the current "standard" version.

With that in mind, there will still will be security updates for PHP 5.6 till 2018, plus additional security updates we receive regularly through our partnership with CloudLinux on older PHP versions. Our developers are also working on making PHP 7 available in the near future, so be on the look out for that update. 

Thanks CG, It's just that my J2Store plug-in for my Joomla eCommerce site is squawking about it being 5.4 and I do not want to loose support for the plug-in or risk security issues in 5.4...

Mike

Hello,

With that in mind, I would recommend that you contact the developer of the plugin and ask if they will continue to support the product and update it to a newer version of PHP. If not it might be something to note and plan that a migration strategy to a new plugin solution for the same purpose will be required in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Wade Hextell

wadehextell at gmail.com

https://au.linkedin.com/in/wadehextell

@CG 
with reference to subsequent reply that this issue will NEVER be solved for those on linux hosting. I wonder why you don't intend to offer a safer and updated php version to ALL clients, as opposed to just SOME clients.....

Hey @gK2

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

If you're referring to my previous reply regarding Web Hosting Linux VS cPanel Linux hosting plans, the former plans mentioned are no longer offered nor does the technology platform support the latest versions of PHP currently available an the latter plans. 

I know our developers still work to provide security improvements where possible on these older hosting plans as there are still a few servers in use. However, further upgrades are no longer possible with the current hardware limitations on these platforms. If you need the latest version of PHP; but are still on Linux Web Hosting plans, then you'll need to consider moving your current site to a new cPanel Hosting account

How about customers with Windows hosting accounts? We have Windows Deluxe hosting account with unlimited websites and we are only seeing 5.3 and 5.4 version options. As we understand cpanel is not available on windows account so how do we get PHP 5.6 or later versions?

@CG wrote:

Hey @gK2

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

If you're referring to my previous reply regarding Web Hosting Linux VS cPanel Linux hosting plans, the former plans mentioned are no longer offered nor does the technology platform support the latest versions of PHP currently available an the latter plans. 

I know our developers still work to provide security improvements where possible on these older hosting plans as there are still a few servers in use. However, further upgrades are no longer possible with the current hardware limitations on these platforms. If you need the latest version of PHP; but are still on Linux Web Hosting plans, then you'll need to consider moving your current site to a new cPanel Hosting account

How do we go about moving our site to a new cPanel Hosting Account?  Do you provide any assistance?

This are the bad days of support. I want to upgrade Php from 5.3 to atleast 5.6 on managed Vps. I have easyapache4 installed so the running version is 5.6 with apache 2.4 but to install a phalcon extension the server default is still 5.3. The worst case is no email support and chat button is 24/7 disabled. For days I keep checking if the chat is online and I think the guys could have gone for a long holiday.

Everything is stuck and am afraid can't work with GoDaddy.

So let me get this right...

I have purchased a managed VPS with cPanel - can I get php 7 installed on this private server?

From what I understand, there is no "automatic" migration from the older Web Hosting Linux to the new cPanel Linux. I would have to purchase a new cPanel Linux account, migrate (copy) over all of the files myself, and set everything up (databases, etc), and then delete my old Web Hosting account. Sounds like a royal PITA to make your longtime customers go through just so they can run a newer version of PHP. There should be some migration mechanism in place so I don't have to purchase a new account and have two accounts going simultaneously.

Chatted with GD today about this very issue.  Yes, you must buy a new plan on a new server, and manually migrate all your files over to the new server.   He mentioned that they offer a paid migration service.

It is definitely going to be a challange since I have many databases running CMSs and multi domain SSL certificate I'm going to have to reconfigure. 

I wish it were simpler.

If I "must buy a new plan on a new server, and manually migrate all [my] files over to the new server", or pay for migration, I won't be buying my new plan from GoDaddy.

@colienyk wrote:

Chatted with GD today about this very issue.  Yes, you must buy a new plan on a new server, and manually migrate all your files over to the new server.   He mentioned that they offer a paid migration service.

It is definitely going to be a challange since I have many databases running CMSs and multi domain SSL certificate I'm going to have to reconfigure. 

I wish it were simpler.

@PeterKirk wrote:

If I "must buy a new plan on a new server, and manually migrate all [my] files over to the new server", or pay for migration, I won't be buying my new plan from GoDaddy. ...

However, as my site is a WordPress site, if I migrate from my old Linux hosting to GoDaddy's WordPress Hosting, would all the migration be paid for? WordPress Hosting is said to come with a "Free one-click migration tool", so that "You can migrate your site over to GoDaddy Managed WordPress in just one click." Would that include migration from my old GoDaddy hosting?

I think that the "managed wordpress sites" are still only PHP 5.3 at best...I think.

Hi,

So, I need to pay extra to be able to move from PHP 5.3, which is 8 years old, and not supported for almost three years!?! PHP 5.3 is the only option available, I cannot chose even 5.4. Is it possible to change the server, at least?

This means you are forcing old users to quit the subscription. If I do that and buy the same one from you I will have the new PHP versions available?!? In that case, I will rather choose another company.

Soo bad experience!!! And I am with you for more that nine years and already spent almost 4,000€.

Aleksandar

Well you have convinced me.

There is no reason to stay with GoDaddy if they are not willing to provide such a basic level of service. 

Exactly! Do you know what's worse? A guy on chat support yesterday made an analogy - he said something like: "You bought this hosting nine years ago. It's the same as you bought the computer nine years ago and now you would like to upgrade it. You have to pay for that."

This analogy is soooo wrong! I said that I am actually buying the new "computer" each time i renew the subscription, since I am paying the whole amount (even much more now than then).

It would be even easier for GoDaddy to allow this, or migration to new servers. I could just cancel the hosting, buy the new one (at discount price) and get the new better thing, while they are spending resources for all of this stuff going on in the background. Not to mention that they will stop getting people mad and literally sending them to another company. Also, they would get rid of those old servers.

PHP 5.3 is already obsolete for 2.5 years! Come on!?!

Surely it is to GoDaddy's advantage to encourage and assist people off the obsolete products.

I am not asking for everything to be done for me, but I don't think it is unreasonable for GoDaddy to provide a free (cost neutral) mechanism to migrate to the new product.  

Should we start indicating our displeasure with GoDaddy on social media?

Perhaps they might take more notice when their poor customer service is on display to a wider audience.

I would also like to be able to upgrade my PHP to at LEAST 5.6, but preferably PHP 7. Wordpress is now warning me that this should happen. If Godaddy can't do this soon, then I'll have to consider going elsewhere which I don't want to have to do as I've never had any problems with Godaddy until now.