cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Wordpress vs Website

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? I don't know which one I need to create because they sound pretty similar too me. Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@chuamerica 

WordPress is a Content Management Platform which powers website. While you don't need to be super technical you do need to understand building menu systems and doing some basic editing

If you are not technical I would suggest either hiring a web developer or you can use something like the GoDaddy Websites + Marketing which is a Wizard  / Template driven DIY system

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Super User IV

@chuamerica 

WordPress is a Content Management Platform which powers website. While you don't need to be super technical you do need to understand building menu systems and doing some basic editing

If you are not technical I would suggest either hiring a web developer or you can use something like the GoDaddy Websites + Marketing which is a Wizard  / Template driven DIY system

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

View solution in original post

@chuamericaI second that.  You can give the Websites + Marketing a free trial to see if it will work for your needs.  It is streamlined for beginners to be able to make a basic website quick and easy.  WordPress is more customizable which comes with a learning curve depending on how advanced you want to get, and if you need some features tailored to a niche there's likely to be plug-ins available.

@Nate @PL281 soooo...essentially both of you are saying (and correct me if I'm super off lol) that they both do the same thing which is having a site with whatever I so desire on it only the Wordpress option is much more customizable if I'm savvy with it while as the website option is more or less following templates and user friendly?

@chuamerica 

Yes that is correct

WordPress is CMS (Content Management System) that helps you build a website . Essentially WordPress is a kind of website. Just like Ford is a type of car.

There are other CMS platforms (Jomla!, Magento, Sitefinity, Kentico, Mura, Crownpeak, idev, Oracle WebCenter Content, Evoq Content...) but WordPress is currently the most widely used.

If WordPress gets any more market share you might hear WordPress used interchangeably with website like you hear Kleenex used for tissue or Jello used for gelatin. You may have already heard WordPress used that way?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

@chuamericaI don't want to make it sound like the CMSs like WordPress are super complicated, but they let you get more advanced if you want.  Websites + Marketing is simplified so you just need to pick a few options and add your content then you have a website.  WordPress is still template driven but with more options and you would need to make sure everything is compatible and updated.  If you're pretty computer efficient it shouldn't be too hard to pick up the basics.  Or if you feel more confidant you can actually change the code of a theme or even build your own.