cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Wordpress Update Destroyed my Blog :( Help!

My website SincerelySapphire.com is ALL messed up and I've been trying to fix it to no avail. I had let Wordpress update to 5.3.2 and it messed my site all up. (I do have a child theme). So I tried to go back to the previous version and it kept failing. So I downloaded the previous version of Wordpress and unzipped it, then logged in to GoDaddy and went to my file manager, and under the SincerelySapphire subdomain, I deleted the wp-admin and wp-includes folders. Then I uploaded those folders from the downloaded version to replace what I’d deleted hoping to get it back to the previous version (after having done some research on how to do it).

Now I have no blog showing at ALL. I’m getting the message:  “There has been a critical error on your website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.

(but no email is there)

I did not replace the wp-contents folder.

The only thing I can think of is that I forgot to temporarily deactivate my plugins before I did it.  I did do a backup first, using a plugin I’d thought saved it to my drop box, but it’s not there L

How can I fix this??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Wordpress Update Destroyed my Blog :( Help!

@HelenSafhire 

Instinct is telling me this may be a database issue. Did you make sure the database reverted and doesn't show any trace of the updated version?

You could also try turning on the wp-debug to see if it gives you any info.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't have a backup of your own that's complete. GoDaddy does offer a recovery option if you call them, but it does cost some money, FYI.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Wordpress Update Destroyed my Blog :( Help!

@HelenSafhire 

Instinct is telling me this may be a database issue. Did you make sure the database reverted and doesn't show any trace of the updated version?

You could also try turning on the wp-debug to see if it gives you any info.

Other than that, I'm not sure what to tell you if you don't have a backup of your own that's complete. GoDaddy does offer a recovery option if you call them, but it does cost some money, FYI.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post