cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

What is the difference between using GoDaddy wordpress hosting and downloading wordpress on GD?

What is the difference between me using the wordpress hosting on godaddy, and downloading wordpress and using it on my godaddy? Is the wordpress that is available with my godaddy wordpress.org? and does it include the large amount of themes that is available at wordpress.org? i just want to make sure that I'm getting the right thing..  once i purchase the wordpress hosting basic plan..then what happens? how do i use it/apply it to my domain? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User II

Both use WordPress.org but to sum it up Managed WordPress has additional features to help simplify the process while you would have more flexibility and control with a regular hosting plan.  With either you would be able to install themes and plugins, note that some are blacklisted for performance or security reasons.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/blacklisted-plugins-8964?

If the domain is in the same account you would select it when setting up the hosting plan and it should automatically update the settings (as long as the domain is using the default nameservers).

View solution in original post

Super User II Super User II
Super User II

It sounds like you may be mixing WordPress.org and WordPress.com @ch3ll3y? WordPress.org is where you’ll find the free WordPress software that you can download and install on your own hosting. WordPress.com takes care of the hosting for you as does GoDaddy Managed WordPress

The difference I find in any hosting plan is the support. In my view the support personnel at GoDaddy are top notch. If you are new to WordPress or appreciate some hands on support I'd suggest you go with Managed WordPress. Check out What is Managed WordPress? I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II

Both use WordPress.org but to sum it up Managed WordPress has additional features to help simplify the process while you would have more flexibility and control with a regular hosting plan.  With either you would be able to install themes and plugins, note that some are blacklisted for performance or security reasons.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/blacklisted-plugins-8964?

If the domain is in the same account you would select it when setting up the hosting plan and it should automatically update the settings (as long as the domain is using the default nameservers).

Super User II Super User II
Super User II

It sounds like you may be mixing WordPress.org and WordPress.com @ch3ll3y? WordPress.org is where you’ll find the free WordPress software that you can download and install on your own hosting. WordPress.com takes care of the hosting for you as does GoDaddy Managed WordPress

The difference I find in any hosting plan is the support. In my view the support personnel at GoDaddy are top notch. If you are new to WordPress or appreciate some hands on support I'd suggest you go with Managed WordPress. Check out What is Managed WordPress? I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head