cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Two WP installs same host, two domains - problems!

Hello,

I have two wordpress installs.

1. domain1.com (let's call it WP1)

2. in a subfolder off the main domain, let's call it WP2

So, I can access WP2 on domain1.com/wp2. Great. But, now I'm pointing another domain: domain2.com to WP2 folder. That works, but all links will still say domain1.com/wp2/link... I've tried to change the site address URL in General settings, but this doesn't solve the issue either. 

Any solutions to this?

5 REPLIES 5
Employee
Employee

Re: Two WP installs same host, two domains - problems!

Hello @gcxhk!

Thank you for posting. If you have a Deluxe hosting plan or higher, you can host multiple domains on your hosting plan. You would do this by adding the second domain to your hosting plan. When you do that, it creates a root specifically for the domain you've added. So you wouldn't need to access the second domain's content by referencing your primary domain. Which type of hosting do you have?

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

@gcxhk

Did you update the domain2 DNS to the nameservers for those installs? 

Once that is done and the WordPress settings changed in Settings > General: WordPress Address (URL) AND Site Address (URL)  you should be good to go!

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

New

Thanks Heather.

I'm using the Prime Business Hosting plan, which should support multiple websites. If I use the file manager, and select the root of the new domain, it does open that subfolder which has the WP install. But if I go to the new domain, the URL jumps back to the main domain / subfolder... 

New

@Muse wrote:

@gcxhk

Did you update the domain2 DNS to the nameservers for those installs? 

Once that is done and the WordPress settings changed in Settings > General: WordPress Address (URL) AND Site Address (URL)  you should be good to go!

HTH! 😉

Thanks Muse. The nameserver on the domain that goes to subfolder is the default nameservers.. ns51.domaincontrol.com and ns52.domaincontrol.com. There's not a different nameserver for a subfolder is it...?

Should I change those?

Thanks for helping out!

Super User II Super User II
Super User II

@gcxhk

Okay... I see... Not sure what Prime Business Hosting is as I do not use GD hosting.   What you need to do to accomplish what you describe is have hosting that allows you to add an "addon domain" which will then assign a subfolder (public_html/domain2.com) that you can then have a additional WordPress install with a separate domain on the same hosting account.

Then, if the nameservers are correct and WordPress settings changed it will work as you desire.

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison