cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Specify Vary: Accept-Encoding Header

I'm currently trying to speed up my site performance. I Performed check on Google Page Speed Insight and Gtmetrix. Getting an error "Specify Vary: Accept-Encoding Header" on both sites. After searching on google and reading several blogs, the solution I got was to paste some code in .htaccess file.

Below is the Code I paste according to blogs.

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
  <FilesMatch ".(js|css|xml|gz|html)$">
    Header append Vary: Accept-Encoding
  </FilesMatch>
</IfModule>

But this code didn't worked. Still, I am facing the same issue. Gtmetrix says that the issue is server-side. 

Anyone having a solution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Specify Vary: Accept-Encoding Header

@webytechno 

I can see you are using Managed WordPress - the Accept-Encoding Header is coming from the content on the CDN - which is a separate server / config you don't have access to. 

It seems to be on you JS / CSS files - I recommend an optimization plugin which merges these files together - It will still flag on this, but typically has a lower impact as you don't have as many files affected by it

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Specify Vary: Accept-Encoding Header

@webytechno 

I can see you are using Managed WordPress - the Accept-Encoding Header is coming from the content on the CDN - which is a separate server / config you don't have access to. 

It seems to be on you JS / CSS files - I recommend an optimization plugin which merges these files together - It will still flag on this, but typically has a lower impact as you don't have as many files affected by it

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post