cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

List of Incompatible Plugins

Does GoDaddy have a list of incompatible WordPress plugins?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Dade

The only way to find out if a plugin is compatible or not is to test it out.  Nobody really keeps a record of what is good and what is not, but their are tons of records that you can find about great plugins.

First a couple of things to do.

1) Create a child theme.

You always want to have a child theme to work with so that you do not mess up code in your original theme.  Also with a child theme you can add and or make a lot of custom changes to your own style.css sheet and functions.php file.  You may also include files such as the header, footer, sidebar, page etc.

2) Always have a daily backup of your site if you can, as well as a daily backup of your database.  Remember when I say that I am a professional web developer, and just yesterday I spent a good 6 hours digging through and removing code from a bad plugin that I installed.  Needless to say, after I got the site back up there were still issues that neither GoDaddy nor myself could figure out.  I have nightly backups so I ended up restoring my site to the previous day.  This made my site perfect again, but I wish I would have done that to begin with.  LOL

3) Research!!!!  This should be located at the number ONE position.  Most of the time there are many plugins that will do what you want, but read the reviews, and see if they have a paid version available.  I do a lot with code that most users select to use a plugin for, but my plugins that I use I first test out on a test site.  If the developer has a paid version of the program then you know that they stay on top of it.  However, there are a ton of free programs that work wonders.

4) When searching plugins within WordPress it will tell you when the last date it was updated.  It will also give you a line that reads something like, "This plugin has not been tested with your version of WordPress".  Just because it has not been tested or known to work with your version of WordPress doesn't mean that it will not work.  If you know how to read code (at least enough to understand the call features), you can always download it to your desktop and use a free program like Notepad++ to see what files and functions are being called.  For beginners that do not understand HTML, PHP, and CSS it will be challenging for you, but I always look at code before I install.

5) The last and almost as important as all the previous answers is....... Know what you want.  Lay out a plan ahead of time.  Don't leave unused plugins inactive in your WordPress.

I hope I have helped you and others understand that ANY plugin could damage your site.  With the use of FTP or file manager in CPanel you can diagnose, and or change the name of the folder to see if it was the plugin causing the error.

Good Luck to You!!

Syxguns

View solution in original post

Community Manager

Hey @Dade - In addition to what @Syxguns said, we do have a list of plugins that are blacklisted specifically for our Managed WordPress accounts. You can find that list here.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

3 REPLIES 3

@Dade

The only way to find out if a plugin is compatible or not is to test it out.  Nobody really keeps a record of what is good and what is not, but their are tons of records that you can find about great plugins.

First a couple of things to do.

1) Create a child theme.

You always want to have a child theme to work with so that you do not mess up code in your original theme.  Also with a child theme you can add and or make a lot of custom changes to your own style.css sheet and functions.php file.  You may also include files such as the header, footer, sidebar, page etc.

2) Always have a daily backup of your site if you can, as well as a daily backup of your database.  Remember when I say that I am a professional web developer, and just yesterday I spent a good 6 hours digging through and removing code from a bad plugin that I installed.  Needless to say, after I got the site back up there were still issues that neither GoDaddy nor myself could figure out.  I have nightly backups so I ended up restoring my site to the previous day.  This made my site perfect again, but I wish I would have done that to begin with.  LOL

3) Research!!!!  This should be located at the number ONE position.  Most of the time there are many plugins that will do what you want, but read the reviews, and see if they have a paid version available.  I do a lot with code that most users select to use a plugin for, but my plugins that I use I first test out on a test site.  If the developer has a paid version of the program then you know that they stay on top of it.  However, there are a ton of free programs that work wonders.

4) When searching plugins within WordPress it will tell you when the last date it was updated.  It will also give you a line that reads something like, "This plugin has not been tested with your version of WordPress".  Just because it has not been tested or known to work with your version of WordPress doesn't mean that it will not work.  If you know how to read code (at least enough to understand the call features), you can always download it to your desktop and use a free program like Notepad++ to see what files and functions are being called.  For beginners that do not understand HTML, PHP, and CSS it will be challenging for you, but I always look at code before I install.

5) The last and almost as important as all the previous answers is....... Know what you want.  Lay out a plan ahead of time.  Don't leave unused plugins inactive in your WordPress.

I hope I have helped you and others understand that ANY plugin could damage your site.  With the use of FTP or file manager in CPanel you can diagnose, and or change the name of the folder to see if it was the plugin causing the error.

Good Luck to You!!

Syxguns

Community Manager

Hey @Dade - In addition to what @Syxguns said, we do have a list of plugins that are blacklisted specifically for our Managed WordPress accounts. You can find that list here.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. You are #TotallyAwesome, thank you very much.