cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

HELP!!!!!! Warning and fatal error, website is completely down and no access to wp admin

I was alerted that our website was down on Friday. I attempted to access it then and could not. This morning, I updated wordpress via godaddy. After almost 4 hours of updating, I still cannot access it. There is no IT department, I am it. I know less than nothing about website management. Can someone, ANYONE, please help me? Thank you.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000208 EndHTML:000001130 StartFragment:000000317 EndFragment:000001098 StartSelection:000000317 EndSelection:000001098 SourceURL:http://johnsmobilerepairservice.com/wp-admin/ Warning: require_once(/home/content/66/11403266/html/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/functions.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/66/11403266/html/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/settings.php on line 3

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/content/66/11403266/html/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/includes/functions.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php') in /home/content/66/11403266/html/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7/settings.php on line 3

8 REPLIES 8
Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: HELP!!!!!! Warning and fatal error, website is completely down and no access to wp admin

@johncomerford

Looks like your Contact Form 7 plugin is having a fit.  You'll need to FTP into your server and rename the ContactForm7 folder in wp-content/plugins to deactivate it.  Then see if you can login.

Contact Form 7 is a pretty stable plugin so I would eliminate the possibility of theme or other plugins causing this issue. 

I have a step-by-step article in GoDaddy's Garage to help you out:

Fixing the WordPress “white screen of death” (WSOD)

HTH! 😉

Judith
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

Re: HELP!!!!!! Warning and fatal error, website is completely down and no access to wp admin

Hello @Muse,

I went to the link you sent and did the first step (rename pluginsOLD) and now I have this fatal error.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000199 EndHTML:000000502 StartFragment:000000308 EndFragment:000000470 StartSelection:000000308 EndSelection:000000470 SourceURL:http://johnsmobilerepairservice.com/ Fatal error: Call to undefined function nimbus_get_option() in /home/content/66/11403266/html/wp-content/themes/wp-opulus/page.php on line 2

So I went in and renamed wp-opulus to wp-opulusOLD and still have the same error

Fatal error: Call to undefined function nimbus_get_option() in /home/content/66/11403266/html/wp-content/themes/wp-opulus/page.php on line 2

Also, I AM now able to access my wp-admin, but I have no tools available and can't find any option to change my theme. What kind of mess have I created Smiley Embarassed

Super User II

@johncomerford

Hmmm...   Do know if all your plugins and theme were tested up to the latest version of WordPress?

The fact you can get into the admin now, but still have issues, is typical conflict scenario.

Stay in the Admin Dashboard and then try reinstating the plugins folder and just renaming Contact Form 7 folder and see what happens.  

At this point it is trial and error.   Disabling and renaming each plugin until you can determine the bad-actor.  I would start with any old plugins that are not up-to-date.  Being Contact Form 7 is well supported I would be surprised if that is the culprit.

I know, no fun! 😞

Judith
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

@Muse

They were not. I ended up updating WordPress through GoDaddy yesterday, in hopes that it would fix my problem, but it did not, which brought me here to the community in hopes of gaining a solution. I'm pretty sure that the last update for anything (WordPress, plugins) was about a year ago, maybe more. I've only recently taken over the website duties and really don't know the first thing about any of it. Lucky me, I get to learn as I go.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm off to start investigations.

Ok @Muse, so I've just reinstated the plugins folder and renamed all plugins one at a time, starting with Contact Form 7 and I am receiving the original fatal error message, I've been kicked out of wp-admin. Renaming both plug ins folder and themes folder is the only way to get back in to wp-admin, renaming just one of them won't get me in.

Super User II

@johncomerford

Okay - last updated a year ago or more? A lot happened in that time frame!   If updating WordPress was the catalyst -- that's a big clue.  This is typical conflict behavior.

Did you check if the version of the theme is 4.9.1 compatible?  

Was the WordPress update through GoDaddy successful?

The next thing I would do is a manual update.  You can find the step-by-step here.

Do you have backups that you can restore from?

Judith

@Muse

GoDaddy and wp-admin both suggest the update was successful, with both stating that I am running 4.9.1. However, upon a little research, I have found that Nimbus has retired my theme. So it appears that could be the culprit and I need a new theme? 

In all honesty, if there are backups, I wouldn't know where to find them. 

Super User II

@johncomerford

Yeah, get a new theme.  That was most likely the cause of all of this.  When it comes to themes I don't go off the beaten path just for reasons like this. 

I have my list of premium WordPress themes that I use for my own sites that may help you to gravitate to a more reliable theme with built-in longevity and support.  

HTH! 😉

Judith