cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

New account, getting 404 for preview

Brand new hosting account, not using HTTPS, domain not pointed at our hosting yet. Uploaded our custom site files via 3rd party FTP program.

Would just like to preview our site, but the "Preview" link from Plesk just shows a 404 error. How do I preview the site before we point the domain name?

I remember in the days before Plesk in the GoDaddy admin, we'd have to create a .NET "application" manually in the root before anything would work, but there's nothing like that in Plesk. What are we missing?

5 REPLIES 5
Employee
Employee

Re: New account, getting 404 for preview

Most use a method of pointing a temporary subdomain to the site files. An example of what is commonly used is new.thedomain. If the domain is in the account the hosting is in you can add that subdomain to Plesk and point it to that file directory and it will automatically create an A record for the subdomain and point it to the hosting. If the domain is not in the same account you can still use this method you would just need to create the A record yourself.

It's my understanding that a site can be built & previewed on GoDaddy, before pointing the domain name, or involving any sort of domain name configuration.

Is that not correct?

Employee
Employee

It does depend upon what hosting you have. The managed wordpress hosting comes with a temporary domain name and therefore you do not have to use any of your domain names. If you are using cpanel you do have to create your own temporary domain and most people use new.theirdomain or something along those lines so they can see the view the site prior to going live.

I'm on Plesk as per my initial post. Windows hosting.

Solution

No valid replies to this, despite 475 views after a month.

I'll just consider the "Preview" on Plesk broken, with crickets from GoDaddy and no plans to fix.

The only workaround I've found is to edit my local hosts file with a DNS entry containing the domain name and site IP address found in Plesk. Works like a charm for my local machine, but try explaining how to do that to a non-tech-savvy client.

TL;DR: GoDaddy support 0/10, community support 1/10 (they tried), my hosts file method 4/10, so marking this as the answer.