Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Rick_Segal
Novice

Newbie Question CNAME Issue

Greetings,

I know how and have successfully changed the "www" CNAME to point where I need my domain to point.  The question is for www.example.com and example.com, I assume you need to use two separate entries. 

So, I can't figure out what the CNAME entry should look like.

Thanks,. 

7 REPLIES
Employee
Employee

Re: Newbie Question CNAME Issue

HI @Rick_Segal

Thank you for your post. The naked domain without WWW is controlled by the "@"  A record and cannot be added as a cname. However, if you have used the WWW cname to direct your site you can direct the naked domain to the cname so both variations resolve.

To do this use the forwarding feature and forward the the domain to itself via www.

For example:

example.com would forward to www.example.com

Manually forward or mask your domain or subdomain

https://www.godaddy.com/help/manually-forward-or-mask-your-domain-or-subdomain-422

Hope this helps!

-TechFly

Rick_Segal
Novice

@TechFly (Niice Handle)

Thanks.  That is precisely what I ended up doing.  Can a sub domain be mapped with a CNAME record as in good.example.com.  These questions are related to using Google's cloud platform.  You create buckets and those buckets are essentially mapped to the appropriate URL.  So, www.example.com all works peachy.  The example.com has to be forwarded which means it can't have a separate 'bucket' on the Google platform.

If good.example.com has to be a forward as well, oh well, other ways to deal w/it.

thx

Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Rick_Segal

Subdomains can be mapped through cnames, A records,  as well as subdomain forwarding.

Which route you take will depend on the server. So if you can set up the bucket to be setup with good.example.com the server may need you to set this record with using an I.P. address added to the A record section with the host name of "good". This is used when there is direct connection between the URL and the server. 

If the bucket is setup under a separate URL, lets say great.example.com, and you want anyone who types in good.example.com to resolve to great.example.com this can be done with a cname which would be setup as followed:

Host = good

Value =  great.example.com

Now lets go one step further. Let's take that same example but this time around you wanted it so that when people type in the url good.example.com to be redirected to great.example.com but when they get to the site, the URL that is shown is shown as good.example.com

This would be done with subdomain forwarding with masking, which will mask the URL upon resolving. (This will only work if the resolving server supports masking) 

Now one more for good measure Smiley Happy

Lets say we have good.example.com going to great.example.com/Rick using subdomain forwarding.  But you also want nice.example.com and awesome.example.com to get to the same url (great.example.com/Rick). You could use cnames to accomplish this. 

So in this example the setup would be:

Subdain forwarding:

good.example.com  > forwards to great.example.com/Rick

CNAMES:

Host = nice 

Value = good.example.com

Host = awesome

Value = good.example.com

As far as the Google buckets I'm not really sure exactly what type of connections they support. However if you are able to go the A record route that would be the best direct setup, CNAMES would be next and then domain forwarding would be last in regards to SEO if that is important to you. 

Oh and thanks for the compliment on the handle Smiley Happy 

Best Wishes!

-TechFly

Rick_Segal
Novice

This is a perfect answer and super helpful.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Rick

Exactly how do I complete the CNAME section?

The company that is hosting my web app provides this instruction:

Your web app will be hosted on our server. To launch it, go to your DNS hosting control panel, create a CNAME record for the specified host name and point it to the following domain: webapps.seattleclouds.com

And yet I don't understand exactly how to do this.  

Do I modify what's there by default?  There are 3 CNAME enteries already there. 

ftp  @

www @

_domainconnect  _domainconnect.gd.domaincontrol.com

Not sure exactly where I point to webapps.seattleclouds.com from?

Employee
Employee

Re: Exactly how do I complete the CNAME section?

@secretformula Hello,

If your domain is seattleclouds.com  you wanted it to be pointed at that:

Then:
webapps    @  

Warm Regards,

Joven

Re: Exactly how do I complete the CNAME section?

That doesn't seem to work.  I had it working a minute ago by adding a CNAME entry that used "secretformulaapp" in the name field and then "webapps.seattleclouds.com" in the Value field.  

It did work and now it isn't again.  I don't get it?? 

The instruction from the site where my app resides is simply this: 

Your web app will be hosted on our server. To launch it, go to your DNS hosting control panel, create a CNAME record for the specified host name and point it to the following domain: webapps.seattleclouds.com.

I just clicked on "refresh page" on the screen that comes up in the browser and it worked.  It's very inconsistent and I don't understand why.