cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

New domain name c name

Hi!  

I am very new to owning my own domain.  Short story, I am only using it to forward to a server that I run at my home.  I am using c names to forward over to duckdns.org to forward to my dynamic IP.  When I ping my duckdns domain, I am receiving replies, but when I ping the cname, I am not getting a reply.  My thought was that I should be able to ping both.  What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution

Re: New domain name c name

I figured it out... I will resolve but in case any noob like me looks this up, when adding the cname, I had to enter it like this:

cname.domain.org.

when I saved it, the system put it in the database as:

cname

Seems weird to do it that way, but as soon as I did it, I was able to ping through fine.  

Like I said, this is new to me, but I thank you for replying.  If anyone sees something weird about this, let me know as I will close it shortly as resolved.

Tech support told me it could take 48 hours to propagate but I did not find that.  As soon as I entered the correct information in the correct format, I was able to ping through.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@zosopage 

CNAMEs are generally aliases - and since you are using a forwarding service it may have something to do with how their system is configured / responds to.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Highlighted
Solution

I figured it out... I will resolve but in case any noob like me looks this up, when adding the cname, I had to enter it like this:

cname.domain.org.

when I saved it, the system put it in the database as:

cname

Seems weird to do it that way, but as soon as I did it, I was able to ping through fine.  

Like I said, this is new to me, but I thank you for replying.  If anyone sees something weird about this, let me know as I will close it shortly as resolved.

Tech support told me it could take 48 hours to propagate but I did not find that.  As soon as I entered the correct information in the correct format, I was able to ping through.

View solution in original post