cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Allan12
Novice

Domain forwarding vs. adding CNAME record?

Hi,

Can someone explain the difference between domain forwarding and adding a CNAME record? For example, I can forward "mydomain.net" to "mydomain.com". But, I can also add a CNAME record to do the same thing. What are the pros / cons of each method? Are there specific use cases for which only one of the methods will work? My guess is that forwarding is more flexible for people who want to point domains to social media sites, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm just looking for some clarification here.

Thanks,

Allan

2 REPLIES
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Domain forwarding vs. adding CNAME record?

Hi @Allan12

Thank you for your post. There is alot of details between the different types but I found a really in depth, but simple explanation posted on namecheap.com  

301 redirect vs cname

https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9604/2237/types-of-domain-redirects--30...

One simple difference though is that domain forwarding can redirect a domain to a directory and cnames cannot. 

For example, Lets say you had a blog website, and on that website there was a page just for recipes. 

Let's say the domain for that was myblog.com and you have a domain myreciepeblog.com and you want everyone who type myreciepeblog.com to be redirected to the recipe page at myblog.com/recipes, you could accomplish this with the domain forwarding but not a cname. 

There are also benefits to cnames as well that may affect SEO.  The guide seems to provide a good understanding though.

Hope this helps!

-TechFly

Allan12
Novice

Re: Domain forwarding vs. adding CNAME record?

Thanks! This helps a lot and I've bookmarked your suggested article.

Allan