• Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Managed Wordpress sites and Third-Party Themes

Hi - I am doing some info gathering on what is possible with the many tiers of Wordpress hosting. I am interested in using a third=party theme thru Wordpress on a GoDaddy hosting plan. Do I have to go thru the managed levels of services? If I do, will regular backups still occur if I am using a third-party theme? 

Alternatively, can I plug the WordPress platform into my hosted site via cPanel? What are the things to consider for these scenarios? 

Thank you, 

Kristen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
    Super User II

Hey, Kristin:

=> You are not limited theme-wise.  You can install any WordPress theme you want.  Appearance > Themes > Add New.  Then click Upload Theme.

=> Backups have nothing to do with what theme you are using.  I take control of my own backups by installing WP-DBManager and schedule it to do automatic backups once a week.  I then also have the ability to do backups on demand before doing any updating.

=> You can load up WordPress in cPanel.  Here's a link to a step-by-step.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "No pressure, no diamonds." Thomas Carlyle

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
    Super User II

Hey, Kristin:

=> You are not limited theme-wise.  You can install any WordPress theme you want.  Appearance > Themes > Add New.  Then click Upload Theme.

=> Backups have nothing to do with what theme you are using.  I take control of my own backups by installing WP-DBManager and schedule it to do automatic backups once a week.  I then also have the ability to do backups on demand before doing any updating.

=> You can load up WordPress in cPanel.  Here's a link to a step-by-step.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "No pressure, no diamonds." Thomas Carlyle

View solution in original post

I am building a WordPress site. Was looking at managed WordPress instead of hosting. As per GoDaddy, managed WordPress is defined as below,

Managed WordPress

The easiest way to create a WordPress site. Includes premium themes with expertly designed pages. Easily customize your site with a drag and drop page builder. We’ll manage the setup, nightly backups, and software updates so you don’t have to.

Want to know if I use the managed WordPress, do I have the flexibility to use the themes I want or have to rely on themes available at GoDaddy?

Former Employee

Hi @pragod.  Yes, you can use any WordPress theme you want.

Thanks,

Gabe

Gabriel A. Mays
    Head of WordPress, GoDaddy