• GoDaddy Community
  • Managed WordPress Hosting
  • Managed WordPress Hosting

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Bulk Redirects are not working, cannot upload to .htaccess and do not work with WP plugins either

Hello,

We are having problems with configuring redirect rules on our sever.

For some reason, uploading 301 redirects (2300 of them) to .htaccess causes server errors.

When we add only a few redirects everything seems to be OK, but when we add the whole bulk the server displays an error.

We then discarded .htaccess as a solution and tried several redirect plugins, but this didn't work either.  We would place the redirects into the plugin, everything would work for a couple of hours, after which time the number of imported redirects would be reduced from the original 2300 to 500 for some reason.

Is there any issue with GoDaddy managed Wordpress service handling this amount of redirects, or what else could be the problem?

The domain we are redirecting URLs from is ownzones.com

The domains we are redirecting URLs to are ownzones.com and flixsea.com, since we have created a new web site, and part of the content that was on the old website (ownzones.com) is now hosted on this new domain (flixsea.com), and the other part has remained on the same domain (ownzones.com)

Please advise and thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mmfourdots

Ded Server is best for this, your correct. 
    I sen't you a pm just now.

Warm Regards,

Joven 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
    Former Employee

Hello @mmfourdots

I'm not sure why you guys want's a lot of redirects .htaccess can be used for redirects yeah, mostly used for ssl but for pages though, it's 50/50  take this insight :
    1 redirect takes 1 second delay plus eat's the memory/ram 
    Therefore : 60 seconds = 60 pages redirects = 1 minute.
    If given too much the server ram will be exausted and won't even give you an accurate reason why it gives you 500 error.
    A 500 error means there is something wrong yet even the server doesnt know about it.
    Reason behind this is the server exhausted too much of it's efforts giving you yuor orders that even the server can't say: "hey your redirects are too much for me, my ram can't do it all"
    And eventually give's in. bam! 500 his dead. 
    Solutions? lessen it. optimize or upgrade your resources.
    https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/insights/mobile#AvoidRedirects
    Hope this helps.
    Warm Regards,

Joven 🙂

Hi Joven,

Thanks for the reply. We are not having isses with 5xx errors.

I said that, since the .htaccess won't accept a large number of redirect rules for some reason, we resorted to using a plugin. The plugin works fine the 2300 redirects for a couple hours, but after that, for some reason the number of redirects is cut down to around 500. We talked to support, but they have no idea why it's not working either. Especially why .htaccess wont't accept the complete list of redirect rules.

Hello @mmfourdots
    Not sure why would the file do that or probly the environment it's in it.
    I'll dig deeper.

Regards,

Joven. 

Thanks! I sent a doc with details about the domain and redirect rules.

Former Employee

Hello @mmfourdots

You may try adding the srypts one at a time, put the codes then save then test.
    Here's some of my tools that might help: http://www.htaccesseditor.com/en.shtml#a_redirect

That's the best I can give,

Warm Regards,

Joven 🙂

Thanks for the help Joven. We'll consider our options and could move to a dedicated server, since we have several WordPress sites to handle.

@mmfourdots

Ded Server is best for this, your correct. 
    I sen't you a pm just now.

Warm Regards,

Joven 🙂

View solution in original post