cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Deceptive billing practice

First, this is my one and only issue with GoDaddy.  Other than this, I have received outstanding service and support.  

--But this is a game-changer.  My SSL cert was up for renewal.  Got the email stating that it would renew on 7/27/18.  Fine...JULY 27th.  No fine print....JULY 27th.  I get an email this morning that reminds me that on 7/27/18, my SSL cert will renew.  At 8am CDT, my bank account was charged for the SSL cert... on JUNE 27th!!  (I called and got a refund...and, of course, my bank won't actually put the $ back in the account for 3-5 working days, but that's a different issue...)  Sure enough...I go back and review the notification email and IN THE FINE PRINT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EMAIL....it states that the renewal can be billed up to 30 days PRIOR to the renewal date.  I received that notification ON THE DAY MY ACCOUNT WAS CHARGED.  This is, to the letter of the term, a DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICE.  I don't care if it is even a $1 charge....you don't state you will renew me on July 27th and then yank the money a month early with a fine-print day-of notification in an email.  If you do this to one of my CORPORATE CLIENTS, *I WILL GET SUED*.  Consider this a warning to the GoDaddy Community and be sure your clients know that this is how their service provider handles its billing.  It's time for me to start evaluating other hosting providers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have no problem with your policy.

Your email was misleading and can mislead my clients.  The email I received in May should have said that my SSL cert would expire on July 27th and that I will be billed on June 27th.  

Lawyering up on me with this has made my decision.  GoodbyeDaddy.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Rockstar II

@kpinkerman01 wrote:

First, this is my one and only issue with GoDaddy.  Other than this, I have received outstanding service and support.  

--But this is a game-changer.  My SSL cert was up for renewal.  Got the email stating that it would renew on 7/27/18.  Fine...JULY 27th.  No fine print....JULY 27th.  I get an email this morning that reminds me that on 7/27/18, my SSL cert will renew.  At 8am CDT, my bank account was charged for the SSL cert... on JUNE 27th!!  (I called and got a refund...and, of course, my bank won't actually put the $ back in the account for 3-5 working days, but that's a different issue...)  Sure enough...I go back and review the notification email and IN THE FINE PRINT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EMAIL....it states that the renewal can be billed up to 30 days PRIOR to the renewal date.  I received that notification ON THE DAY MY ACCOUNT WAS CHARGED.  This is, to the letter of the term, a DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICE.  I don't care if it is even a $1 charge....you don't state you will renew me on July 27th and then yank the money a month early with a fine-print day-of notification in an email.  If you do this to one of my CORPORATE CLIENTS, *I WILL GET SUED*.  Consider this a warning to the GoDaddy Community and be sure your clients know that this is how their service provider handles its billing.  It's time for me to start evaluating other hosting providers.

@kpinkerman01 while I understand your frustration most of the renewal policies are put in place to actually assist Godaddy's customers. 90% of people that have a website/SSL will end of renewing it. The charge is done before hand so that the domain name, SSL, website or any product doesn't expire if the billing method is no longer valid. You can search this forum or look at the thousands of domain names expiring per day and see that most people want to know beforehand if the billing isn't going to go through. It's really a double-edged sword. I can appreciate your frustration but again, Godaddy has clear renewal policies (https://www.godaddy.com/agreements/showdoc.aspx?pageid=19963&prog_id=PROG_ID) that are the customers obligation to review before agreeing to purchase a product.

---

Your email was misleading and can mislead my clients.  The email I received in May should have said that my SSL cert would expire on July 27th and that I will be billed on June 27th.  

View solution in original post

@kpinkerman01 wrote:

@kpinkerman01 I do not work for Godaddy, its simply their policy.

---

@justingodfrey My apologies for misunderstanding your role.  My frustration is directed solely at the GoDaddy billing department and borne out of a worry that my business could be affected.

Hopefully the billing team at GoDaddy reviews this soon as over half of my clients have already responded back to me that they agree that their notification wording is highly misleading and could result in accounting and tax issues for their businesses.